DEVESH PANDEY IN THE HINDU
Investigations into a recent human trafficking network smashed with the rescue of four minor girls at Old Delhi railway station have indicated involvement of an alleged human trafficker who was apparently an office-bearer of a non-government organisation whose role is also being probed on the direction of a Child Welfare Committee.
Munna Jaiswal alias Munna Choudhry, who is from Udalguri in Assam, is suspected to be involved in several human trafficking cases. He was previously booked and arrested in a joint operation of the Delhi Police and their Assam counterparts last July. The website of an NGO, which is now under police scanner for alleged links with human traffickers, earlier mentioned Munna’s name as its vice-president.
“There is a series of serious charges against him. In fact, his name also cropped up in a report submitted to the Delhi Police Crime Branch on people running human trafficking rackets in the garb of NGOs operating in different parts of the Capital. The report listed about 50 such NGOs and nearly 500 victims,” said a police officer. The accused earlier ran one Rajdhani Placement Service in Rajouri Garden.
According to Rishi Kant of NGO Shakti Vahini, the minors who were rescued at the Old Delhi railway station were brought from Jharkhand on board Tata-Muri Express train on the pretext of jobs through an illegally-run agency named Pooja Placement Services in New Friends Colony. “The traffickers, Karmi Lokra and Saraswati Devi, claimed themselves to be workers of an NGO. The rescue operation was carried out by the Government Railway Police,” he said.
After Shakti Vahini brought these facts before the Kingsway Camp CWC, the Committee directed the Nihal Vihar Station House Officer to probe the role of the NGO in question and submit a report within a week. “Investigations into Munna Choudhry’s suspected complicity in other cases may lead the police to unearth several other such rackets,” added Mr. Kant.
- Two arrested for trafficking, four minors rescued (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Two arrested for trafficking, four minors rescued (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- NE emerges as major human trafficking hub (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Northeast girls being trafficked to Haryana for marriage (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Cbi Establishes an Anti Human Trafficking Unit; Sets Up Exclusive Helpline Number and Announces Reward to Combat Human Trafficking (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Cbi Establishes an Anti Human Trafficking Unit; Sets Up Exclusive Helpline Number and Announces Reward to Combat Human Trafficking (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Sold off as ‘bride’, teen rescued from Haryana village (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Six arrested for pushing woman into flesh trade (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Assam girls trafficked & forced to marry in Haryana (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)