NEW DELHI, Jan 18 – Taking advantage of their Mongoloid features, tribal girls from the North-east are trafficked as foreigners at a higher rate, while Assam has emerged as a major source State of the region. These startling facts have emerged in a day-long review meeting organised by Home Ministry with Anti-Trafficking Nodal Officers of the State to review the progress of anti-human trafficking initiatives taken by the States. Officials from Assam, Meghalaya and Mizoram participated in the meeting.
The hill districts of Karbi Anglong and Dima Hasao and the tea gardens have emerged as hot spots for trafficking of young boys and girls. Minor girls from Karbi Anglong were rescued from Apollo Circus. Another batch of minor girls was rescued from Moonlight Circus, said SP Juliet Barua, who is the State’s Nodal Officer. Nodal officer from Mizoram said that they have managed to rescue four girls from a brothel in Mumbai, where they were sold as foreigners at a higher rate. The kingpin of the racket has been detained and is now serving term in a Mumbai prison.
Sleuths have also managed to rescue four Mizo girls from a spa in Goa along with seven Naga girls, where they were trafficked. Instance of girls hailing from Myanmar and Bangladesh being trafficked through the North-east have also come to light, said officials. Additional Secretary, B Bhamthti said a comprehensive scheme ‘Strengthening Law Enforcement Response in India Against Trafficking in Persons Through Training and Capacity Building’, was sanctioned. It has been proposed to establish 330 Anti-Human Trafficking Units (AHTUs) throughout the country and impart training to 10,000 police officers through training of trainers component.
The Home Ministry released Rs 8.72 crore as first installment for the year 2010-11, to all the State governments for establishing 115 Anti-Human Trafficking Units. 101 AHTUs have become functional. In 2011-12 110 AHTUs are to be established, she said.
- Assam girls trafficked & forced to marry in Haryana (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Anti-Human Trafficking Units formed to tackle the menace of Human Trafficking (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Anti-Human Trafficking Units formed to tackle the menace. (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Trafficker Wanted in Several Cases Arrested – 5 Victims Rescued (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- A Token of Appreciation From Mizoram Police (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Three Day Training Programme of West Delhi Anti Human Trafficking Unit Held in Collaboration With Ahtu Delhi Police , Crime Branch and Shakti Vahini (activistindia.wordpress.com)
- Trafficker Wanted in Several Cases Arrested (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- The Fastest Growing Criminal Industry- HUMAN TRAFFICKING (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Centre to ask border states to treat straying kids humanely (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Cbi Establishes an Anti Human Trafficking Unit; Sets Up Exclusive Helpline Number and Announces Reward to Combat Human Trafficking (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)