DWIPAYAN GHOSH /TIMES OF INDIA
NEW DELHI: Four minor girls were rescued and two traffickers arrested from the old Delhi railway station on Tuesday morning. The operation was jointly carried out by the railway police force, anti-trafficking unit of crime branch and NGO Shakti Vahini.
The two accused have been identified as Karmi Lokra and Saraswati Devi. The duo had lured the girls with the promise of providing them jobs with an NGO here. Shakti Vahini sources allege the NGO in question is fake and children brought here were sold off as child brides in Haryana or as bonded labourers.
“The children were brought by the Tata Muri Express from Jharkhand on the pretext of providing jobs through an illegal placement agency in New Friends Colony. The arrests also revealed the involvement of an alleged NGO operating in Delhi. The placement agency brought in poor children from the central belt promising them jobs with the NGO,” alleged Rishi Kant from Shakti Vahini. “After the arrests, a couple, claiming to be the workers of this NGO, arrived at the old Delhi GRP police station. The woman spoke to the accused and levelled allegations against unknown persons to derail the investigation,” said Rishi Kant.
“The Shakti Vahini team found out the website of the fake organization. Investigations revealed that the vice president of the NGO was one Munna Choudhry. He had been arrested for trafficking earlier in July, 2011, from Rajouri Garden. A 27-page report prepared against him by Assam Police had listed details of around 500 children who went missing from Assam and about such 50 placement agencies operating in Delhi. Subsequently, the report was also submitted to the DCP (crime and railways) and we are analyzing the report for leads at present,” said a senior crime branch officer.
Sources said Shakti Vahini requested the Child Welfare Committee to order a police probe against the NGO in question. Acting on the petition, the CWC issued orders directing SHO of Nihal Vihar Police Station for the same. The CWC also directed the SHOs of New Friends Colony and Defence Colony police stations to probe the placement agency owners and submit a report at the earliest.
- Six arrested for pushing woman into flesh trade (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Domestic help agency owner held (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Sold off as ‘bride’, teen rescued from Haryana village (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Bride Trafficking- Girls Brought From Mp , Bengal Rescued (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Bride trafficking: 2 minors rescued, three held (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Massive girls trafficking racket busted (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Massive girls trafficking racket busted (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Pushed into flesh trade in Delhi, a woman’s journey back home in Bengal (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Pushed into flesh trade in Delhi, a woman’s journey back home in Bengal (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Girl from Hajo rescued in Haryana (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)