MUMBAI: The Social Service Branch of the Mumbai police raided a bungalow at Oshiwara on Friday night, where a prostitution racket was being run in the guise of a massage parlour. Ten Manipuri girls were rescued. Three persons were arrested while the owner of the place is wanted. “We had received specific information that immoral activities were going on at a massage parlour at the Mhada complex in Oshiwara. A decoy customer was sent. Following a confirmation from him, our teams raided the bungalow,” said Mumbai ACP Vasant Dhoble.
Communication with the rescued girls has been a problem as they don’t speak either Hindi or English. They have been sent for a medical examination to verify whether any of them are minors. They will be produced before a local court and then sent to a shelter.Explaining the modus operandi used, a senior official said the accused used to offer memberships to their clients for not less than Rs 10,000. Depending on the type of membership selected, the clients could avail of a particular number of massages. The parlour has been functioning since 2009 and operates on word-of-mouth publicity.
The police came across a few local clients during their raid and are examining if anyone from the glamour industry used to frequent the parlour. The police have also found a rate-card and payment receipts in multiples of thousands inside the bungalow.
“We have arrested the cashier-cum-receptionist, the manager and the conductor. The owner of the place is a woman, who is presently in Delhi. We are looking for her. Further investigation is being carried out by the Oshiwara police,” said Dhoble. Provisions of the PITA Act have been invoked.
- 28 women rescued from Grant Road brothel sent back home (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- SEX RACKET busted, 13 held (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Massage parlour owner defends business (cbc.ca)
- Mumbai Police Arrest Bollywood Actress, Others At Gay Party (queerty.com)
- Bar girls: Banned in Mumbai, trafficked to Dubai (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Sex racket on for 6 months: Cops (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)