HUMAN TRAFFICKING NEWS IS A SHAKTI VAHINI NATIONAL LEGAL RESEARCH DESK INITIATIVE
THE TRIBUNE / Jind, October 24
The police has recovered a 22-year-old girl hailing from Madhya Pradesh from the local railway station. According to police sources, the girl, identified as Maya, a resident of Betul district of Madhya Pradesh, was found to be loitering at the local railway junction on Saturday night under suspicious circumstances.
She told the police that her uncle sold her for marriage to a youth a few days ago against a payment of Rs 90,000. She said she became a widow after her husband died three months ago. The investigations revealed that the girl was married to a truck driver, Ved Prakash, a resident of Dhangar village, on October 20, but she fled from his house on October 22 and reached Jind. She told the police that as she was married against her wishes, she fled and wanted to return to her house in her native village.
While no complaint has been lodged by anyone in this connection, the girl was produced before the duty magistrate, who sent her to the Nari Niketan at Karnal till she was sent back home.This is the second such incident in which a woman, hailing from outside the state, has been recovered after being sold for marriage in the region.
- Girl from Hajo rescued in Haryana (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Sold off as ‘bride’, teen rescued from Haryana village (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Assam girl rescued from Jind village (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Assam girl rescued from Jind village (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- 4 held for running sex racket (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)