HUMAN TRAFFICKING NEWS IS A SHAKTI VAHINI NATIONAL LEGAL RESEARCH DESK INITIATIVE
DEVESH K PANDEY / THE HINDU
For alleged involvement in human trafficking racket
The owner of a domestic help agency has been arrested at Shakurpur here for his alleged involvement in human trafficking. Six minors, including a girl, were rescued from him in a joint operation on Tuesday.
The rescue operation was carried out by the local police in coordination with non government organisation Shakti Vahini. The NGO, through its counterparts in Jharkhand, received information about a girl from Simdega who had been brought to the Capital and kept in confinement by the owner of one Chandni domestic help agency at Shakurpur. The girl’s parents had lodged a complaint with the Jharkhand Police, alleging their daughter called up to inform them that instead of being taken to Jamshedpur for a job she was made to consume some sedative and brought to Delhi.
On coming to know of her plight, the NGO immediately contacted the Subhash Place police station. “The area Station House Officer extended all possible help and constituted a team to conduct the raid. Juvenile officers Surender Kumar and Radhey Shyam were part of the team,” said Rishi Kant of Shakti Vahini.
Through a decoy customer, the police contacted the agency owner asking for a domestic help and subsequently raided his office-cum-residence. “Five minor boys, of whom three are from Gumla and two from Ranchi, and a 12-year-old girl from Simdega were found at the agency office. The boys had been brought to Delhi on Monday. The police have arrested the 23-year-old agency owner, Shamim,” said Mr. Kant. The accused had been running the agency for the past three years. During interrogation, Shamim purportedly disclosed that the girl the police were looking for had been taken away by one of her relatives, who paid Rs.16,000 for her. He also produced a copy of the receipt issued to the person, showing him as a resident of Lodhi Road. While the police are verifying his claim, they have detained another person, Virender Nag, who runs one Ghar Angan placement agency in the area. It is alleged the girl rescued from the clutches of Shamim had first been handed over to Virender.
“He claims she had been brought by her parents. The police are cross-checking the facts,” said Mr. Kant, adding a large number of unscrupulous domestic help agencies operate in Shakurpur and other parts of the city.
- Six minors, including a girl, were rescued from him in a joint operation on Tuesday
- Rescue operation carried out by local police in coordination with NGO Shakti Vahini
- Three Day Training Programme of West Delhi Anti Human Trafficking Unit Held in Collaboration With Ahtu Delhi Police , Crime Branch and Shakti Vahini (activistindia.wordpress.com)
- Girl from Hajo rescued in Haryana (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Sold off as ‘bride’, teen rescued from Haryana village (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Massive girls trafficking racket busted (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Trafficker Wanted in Several Cases Arrested (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Massive girls trafficking racket busted (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- A Token of Appreciation From Mizoram Police (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Trafficker Wanted in Several Cases Arrested – 5 Victims Rescued (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Sex racket busted in Gurgaon, two held (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Trafficker from Bengal held, 5 girls rescued (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)