NATIONAL LEGAL RESEARCH DESK – A SHAKTI VAHINI RESEARCH INITIATIVE
DEVESH PANDEY IN THE HINDU
A married couple who allegedly bought young women trafficked from various States and forced them into prostitution have been arrested and three of the victims rescued by the police in coordination with a non-government organisation. Some more persons are suspected to be involved in the racket.
The gang was busted after one of the victims was spotted by a team of NGO Shakti Vahini in the Kamla Market area of Central Delhi on Wednesday morning. She disclosed that he belonged to Bihar and had been brought to the Capital about a year ago by her “husband” soon after they were married. Her “husband” then sold her off to a woman living in neighbouring Gurgaon for Rs.60,000 and vanished from the scene. Since then she was forced into sex-trade.
A couple of days ago she was sent to a client, to whom she narrated her plight and sought his help. He gave her some money to buy a ticket home.
More girls in captivity
The victim purportedly disclosed that some more girls had been kept in captivity by the pimp in a house in Gurgaon. The NGO representatives reported the matter to the area Station House Officer. They contacted senior Gurgaon Police officers following which a team led by an Assistant Commissioner of Police raided the house where the victims had been kept.
The police rescued two more girls and arrested Kavita and her husband Mukesh. “Kavita, who had bought the victims, lived there along with her family. One of the victims was sold to the accused for Rs.40,000 about three months ago and the second one, who is from Chhattisgarh, was brought about 10 days ago. The couple were operating for the past decade,” said Nishi Kant of Shakti Vahini, adding that one of their accomplices from Rewari in Haryana was absconding.
“One of the victims has disclosed that an area police officer also abused them physically. It has not been mentioned in the First Information Report. We suspect that statements of the victims were not recorded before a magistrate under Section 164 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, which is admissible as evidence. We will apprise the court of these facts,” he said. The accused have been sent to judicial custody.
It is learnt that after the racket was smashed, the area Station House Officer has been placed under suspension.
- Three young women rescued (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Sex racket busted in Gurgaon, two held (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Bengal Police arrests Gurgaon Job Firm Staff (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Balurghat girl brought back from Gurgaon Back home, teen thanks employer (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Body Shop/ Shakti Vahini to fight human trafficking in India (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Complaints of growing abuse by placement agencies in Delhi (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Cycling miles to spread smiles (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Many owners of domestic help placement agencies trafficking, raping women: Report (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Rehabilitation of Sexually Assaulted Women (antitraffickingnews.wordpress.com)