A SHAKTI VAHINI RESEARCH INITIATIVE
There is no rehabilitation policy for sex workers. However, to provide rehabilitation services to victims of trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation, the Ministry of Women and Child Development is implementing “Ujjawala”, a comprehensive Scheme for prevention of trafficking and for rescue, rehabilitation and reintegration of such victims, since 4th December, 2007.
The Minister of State (I/C) for Women & Child Development Smt. Krishna Tirath stated in Lok Sabha today that the Scheme is being implemented mainly through Non Governmental Organisations. 76 Rehabilitative Homes which can accommodate upto 3800 beneficiaries have been sanctioned, under the Scheme, in the country. These Rehabilitative Homes are given financial support for providing the inmates basic amenities such as food, clothing and shelter, medical care, legal aid, education in case the victims are children as well as for undertaking vocational training and income generation activities to provide the victims with alternate livelihood option. Further, rehabilitation is also envisaged through reintegration of the victims into the society for which financial assistance is provided for setting up of Half-Way Homes and for restoration of the victims to their families.
The Minister assured that the Government is taking a number of other measures to combat trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation in the country. The Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act, 1956 supplemented by the Indian Penal Code prohibits, trafficking in human beings, including children and lays down penalties for trafficking. A comprehensive Advisory on Preventing and Combating Human Trafficking in India has been issued on 09.09.2009 by the Government of India to all States/Union Territories. Further, the Government has set up Anti Human Trafficking Units (AHTUs) to strengthen the law enforcement response to trafficking.
- Rehabilitation of Sex Workers (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Children in Sex Trade (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Women Trafficking (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Indias Efforts to Curb Trafficking in Persons Recognised by the Us Trafficking in Persons Report. India Upgraded to Tier 2 (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- The Body Shop India and Ecpat Will Present Over 300,000 Petitions to the National Government As India Ratifies the Un Convention Against Human Trafficking. (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Govt for rehab of sex workers (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- She dreams of a better life, and it is the dingy room at the brothel that can give her that (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Body Shop/ Shakti Vahini to fight human trafficking in India (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Significance of the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime (UNTOC) to address human trafficking / Interview with Mr G K Pillai, Union Home Secretary, Government of India (equalityindia.wordpress.com)