A SHAKTI VAHINI RESEARCH INITIATIVE
Ministry of Women and Child Development has decided to amend the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2000 (JJ Act), to remove the discriminatory references against leprosy affected children and also references about segregation of children affected by Hepatitis B, Tuberculosis, sexually transmitted diseases, mental disorders and drug addiction, from sections 48& 58 of the JJ Act. The has been done in pursuance of the interim direction given by the Hon’ble High Court of Delhi in its order dated 2.4.2009 in a Public Interest Litigation filed by Kusth Asha Deep Federation (Writ Petition No. 8112/2007) and recommendations of the Rajya Sabha Committee on Petitions for Integration and Empowerment of Leprosy Affected Persons, in its 131st Report presented on 24th October, 2008.
The Supreme Court in its order dated 22.01.2010 in the Writ Petition (Civil) No.51 of 2006 filed by Bachpan Bachao Andolan against the Union of India & Others had directed the State Governments to properly implement the JJ Act and constitute Child Welfare Committees, Juvenile Justice Boards and Special Juvenile Police Units in each district within six weeks of the order and appointed the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) as nodal agency to monitor the implementation of the directions of the Court given from time to time. To facilitate implementation of the various provisions of the JJ Act, including constitution of the Juvenile Justice Boards, Government of India has introduced a Centrally Scheme namely ‘Integrated Child Protection Scheme’ (ICPS) in 2009-10, for providing financial assistance to the State Governments/UT Administrations.
This information was given by Smt. Krishna Tirath, Minister of State for Women and Child Development in a written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha today.
- Rehabilitation of Sex Workers (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Child Adoption Process being simplified and made online (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Police/SJPU – how they can choose to be an adversary or a friend of Children in Need of Care & Protection and Juvenile in Conflict with Law (indialawyers.wordpress.com)
- Sexual Harassment of Children (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Children in Sex Trade (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Women Trafficking (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Rehabilitation of Child Labourers Working in Food Stalls (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Objection, your honour (indialawyers.wordpress.com)
- Rehabilitation of Sex Workers (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Notorious Trafficker Arrested – 9 Victims Rescued. (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)