DEVESH PANDEY / THE HINDU
A woman, who was trafficked to the Capital from West Bengal and sold off to a man at Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh for marriage about three years ago, is suspected to have been murdered. While a hunt has been launched for the five main accused, the police have arrested two persons in this connection.
The 19-year-old resident of North 24 Parganas was brought here by Dasrath, an agent, on the pretext of a job. Investigations revealed she was then taken to Vrindavan in U.P. and sold off to Yograj Singh, resident of a village in Bulandshahr, for Rs.60,000. He married the woman, but she suddenly went missing about two-and-half years ago.
The victim’s parents moved a habeas corpus petition in High Court, which directed the anti-human trafficking unit of the West Bengal Police to track her down and produce her before it. Subsequently, a team reached Delhi a couple of days ago and went to Bulandshahr along with a team of NGO Shakti Vahini to trace her. However, Yograj was found missing and his house locked. Enquiries indicated she was killed and her remains disposed of. The team was told a skeleton was found a couple of months later, but no case was registered.
The team suspects that at least five persons, including Yograj, were directly involved in the case. Based on preliminary findings, they have arrested Yograj’s elder brother Maharaj and the brother of another suspect named Laxman for allegedly being part of the conspiracy. “However, we are yet to establish that the woman was murdered. The local police do not have any clue regarding her whereabouts,” said an officer.
The police plan to produce the two accused before a local court and seek their transit remand for further investigation. They have also pasted a court proclamation at Yograj’s residence, directing him to produce himself or his property would be attached. The officer said the role of the Delhi-based agent was also being probed. He has gone underground.
- Many owners of domestic help placement agencies trafficking, raping women: Report (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Complaints of growing abuse by placement agencies in Delhi (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Bengal Police arrests Gurgaon Job Firm Staff (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Flesh Trade Racket Busted , Two Touts Held in Haryana (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Indias Efforts to Curb Trafficking in Persons Recognised by the Us Trafficking in Persons Report. India Upgraded to Tier 2 (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Court tells cops to ‘physically’ verify records of fake placement agency (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)