New Delhi, May 6 / THE TRIBUNE
A day after the Supreme Court demanded dignity for sex workers and commitment from states to offer them alternative sources of livelihood, the newly-established Anti Human Trafficking Unit (AHTU) in the National Capital rescued a minor from the clutches of a man about to sell her off for Rs 1.5 lakh.Personnel of the Home Ministry-funded Anti Human Trafficking Unit (AHTU) from Delhi swooped down on 25-year-old Ismail Ahmad past midnight in the Shakarpur area where he was awaiting his return for a deal that involved the sale of a 16-year-old minor from Assam’s Kamrup district.
A married man with four children, Ahmad had succeeded in luring the girl all the way from Assam to Delhi on the promise of betrothing her. On the way, he halted at Kanpur on May 1 to rape the girl. She was confirmed to have been raped and has been sent to the Child Welfare Committee home in Tihar Jail.
When The Tribune spoke with the girl today, she was in utter disbelief: “He said he loved me and wanted to marry me. I left my parents for his sake. I want to go back.” The child’s parents, poor agricultural labourers back in Assam, have been informed and are on their way to get the girl.The matter brings to light the unholy nexus between placement agency owners across the Capital and human traffickers, who park their victims at these agencies before selling them off to prospective customers who use them, as they will.
Meanwhile, Rishi Kant of Shakti Vahini, the civil society member who joined the police last night in the rescue operation, told The Tribune, “The telling part is that neither the trafficker nor the victim is from Delhi. He got her to the Capital as he was aware of the market. Men, especially those from Haryana, come hunting for young girls to these placement agencies, which readily oblige. We rescue over 50 minors every month.” Also in the dock this time is Babita from the placement agency at Shakarpur where a decoy customer laid a trap to nab the trafficker of a 16-year-old girl.
- NGOs under scanner for child trafficking (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Trafficking racket in East of Kailash busted, 3 arrested (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Rescued in Delhi two years ago, girl trafficked back to Gurgaon (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Workshop on Child Protection and Violence Against Women Held at Faridabad in Collaboration With Police Department (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Trafficking of Women and Children (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- ‘Child sex trafficking rampant in US’ (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)